Friday, October 22, 2010

just ludicrous

I suppose that I am doomed, judging from the constant flux of influence and persuasion from every direction. The more that I rely on what I feel is right and noble, as opposed to what is dominantly suggested throughout this society into which I have been born, the more my path seems destined for certain decadence.

I have no desire to make a six-figure income. What on Earth would I do with such a sum of money? The needs for resources around the world are great, no doubt, but luxurious temptations are far too vast and too powerful when it comes to accepting a wealth of that magnitude, as can be observed everywhere: from politicians to leaders in the church, from physicians (whose riches originated with a desire to heal) to uptown yuppies to the spoiled offspring of that particular class of world-wide society that just has more than they know what to do with. When considering the problems that exist internationally today, I cannot get past the Truth that there is “enough for everyone’s need, but not for everyone’s greed.”

It is the open pursuit of that beautiful simplicity of life that guides me to my seemingly perilous destiny. Such has led me to wisdom of old, demonstrated by a way of life that was abandoned in these parts of the world a century ago. I am aaaaamazed by accounts of Native Americans, the First People, as they describe what life was like before Whitey came across the water. In those days, a man’s image as a Man was determined by such virtues as Integrity, Honesty, Compassion, Selflessness, Honor and Bravery. Security was an entirely foreign concept. They feared the White race for a variety of reasons, but mainly for the selfish and heartless motives and methods used in the expansion of its “territory”. They were incapable of comprehending what it was about the “yellow metal that drives White Men crazy.”

It would be easy to go off on many tangents at this point, but what I want to focus on is how so many customs of the White race seemed completely unnecessary, overly complex and inhumane. Why take more than what is absolutely necessary to provide sustenance for today? Consumerism was unknown, and today it is mandatory. Only dead, fallen wood was collected on a daily basis for fires and building projects. The well-being of every living thing was considered equally, Mankind was only another extension of Wakan Tanka, or the “Mysterious Great/ Great Spirit”.

Yeah, so this is unrealistic in today’s society. Or is it? If I truly consider myself “in the world, but not of it,” then who is to say that this dream can’t lead me to that quality of life that makes life worth living?

Will I fulfill my potential if I never buy a new car? What if I tried mending old clothes or making my own before buying the latest Abercrombie and Fitch? Would that make me an outcast? I’m in the business of making Grace evident, not diluting it with a price tag.

This is what I believe, this is what I desire for myself and for my family, and I’m sticking to it, completely unafraid. Future, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment